Members of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentians) arrived in Chicago from LaSalle, Ill. The cornerstone was laid Nov. 14 for a church building at the northeast corner of Webster and Osgood (now Kenmore Ave.) (see 1898). The founding pastor was the Rev. Thomas Smith, C.M., and the area around the church was referred to as his "farm."
A new church (the present St. Vincent's Church) was dedicated by the Most Rev. Patrick Feehan, first Archbishop of Chicago, on May 2. Archbishop Feehan urged the Vincentians to open a new college on a site adjoining the recently erected church.
St. Vincent's College was legally established in the State of Illinois on June 30. Classes opened in the original St. Vincent's Church, refurbished and renamed the College Building at Webster and Osgood (now Kenmore Ave.) on Sept. 5. The College Building had classrooms on the first floor; classrooms and offices on the second floor; and a third floor, added during remodeling, that was named St. Vincent's College Hall.
There were seven original faculty members, including the Rev. Thomas F. Levan, C.M. (see 1920). The college began operations without a president.
Estimates of first-year enrollment vary from 69 to 72, recorded at 70 at year's end. Tuition for the 10-month term was $40.