The university dedicated the Finchley Building at 23 E. Jackson Blvd. as Comerford J. O'Malley Place in honor of the Vincentian educator who served DePaul since 1934 as philosophy professor, dean of the College of Commerce, president (1944-1964) and chancellor (1964-1981).
The College of Commerce launched a five-year program in accountancy through its new School of Accountancy, the only academic unit of its kind in an urban area, and one of only 11 such professional schools in the United States.
The Blue Demons ended the regular season with a 26-1 record and finished first in the Associated Press and United Press International polls for the first time. Joseph (Joey) Meyer was selected to succeed his father, Ray Meyer, as DePaul's head basketball coach when the elder retires. The younger Meyer had been an assistant basketball coach at DePaul since 1971.
Enrollment in fall 1980 was 13,356 students, the eighth consecutive increase and a record high for DePaul. Of the total, 47 percent are female, 18 percent were students of color, and 41 percent were adults age 26 and older. DePaul had the second largest enrollment of African-Americans and Hispanics among private universities in Illinois. There were 698 faculty members (398 full time and 300 part time).
The men's basketball team began playing home games in the 17,000-seat Horizon Center in suburban Rosemont, triple the 5,300-seat capacity of Alumni Hall, which had served as the home game court since 1956