Before you can be considered for financial aid, you must be admitted to DePaul as a degree-seeking student to in a DePaul University undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree program; or you must be admitted to a non-degree aid-eligible graduate program, or be enrolled in approved post-baccalaureate non-degree graduate preparatory coursework. If you are just beginning the admission process to DePaul and you wish to apply for financial aid, you should start the aid process as soon as possible after beginning the admission process. 

Financial aid applicants must meet the federal eligibility requirements for aid, and if asked, provide documents as needed to support eligibility:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. 
  • You must be accepted and currently active in an eligible degree program, an aid-eligible non-degree graduate program*, or approved post-baccalaureate non-degree graduate preparatory coursework. 
  • You must have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or have completed a high school education in a homeschooled setting approved under state law. (Students who do not meet these eligibility requirements should contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance.)
  • For most financial aid programs, and for loan deferment, you must enroll in your program at least half-time.  Your classes must be taken for credit and must be part of your degree or aid-eligible non-degree graduate program or approved post-baccalaureate non-degree graduate preparatory coursework.  Audited courses are not eligible for financial aid consideration.  In addition, if it is determined that you have completed your degree requirements, aid-eligible non-degree program, or your approved post-baccalaureate non-degree graduate preparatory coursework, or if you wish to repeat a course for which you have previously earned credit, your financial aid options are limited:  please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information. 
  • You must be in satisfactory academic standing and making academic progress in your course of study. 
  • You must not be in default on any federal loan or owe a repayment on any federal grant. 

*For a complete list of non-degree graduate programs that have been approved by the U.S. Department of Education for federal financial aid, please see Non-Degree Graduate Programs Approved for Federal Financial Aid in the forms section of this website.

Complete the FAFSA

Because so many different types of aid are linked to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), we recommend that all students seeking financial aid file a FAFSA online. 

The first step in applying for aid is to get a Federal Student Aid (FSA ID). An FAFSA ID lets you apply, electronically "sign" your online FAFSA, make changes to your application information, and more. 

Next, collect the documents you need to complete the FAFSA; you'll find a full list of these documents at the FAFSA web site. If you haven't filed your taxes yet, you can estimate the tax information, and then make corrections after your taxes are filed. You are strongly encouraged to use the IRS data retrieval process, which you can link to directly from your FAFSA  

Be sure to keep copies of all of your documents. Be sure to include DePaul in the school section of the FAFSA. DePaul school code for FAFSA is 001671. 

The FAFSA becomes available on January 1 every year. Because many sources of funds are limited, or are subject to deadlines, it is important to file your FAFSA for the coming academic year as early as possible after January 1. For example, if you are applying for the academic year beginning in September 2015, it is important to file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, 2015. If you have questions about the FAFSA filing dates, or you are unsure when to file your FAFSA please contact the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central for assistance.


The Federal Student Aid Processor will notify you via email when your application has been processed. Your FAFSA results also will be sent at the same time to DePaul’s Office of Financial Aid. To check on your FAFSA status, log on to the FAFSA website or call the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243.

Once your FAFSA has been processed, be sure to review it online for accuracy. Make any necessary corrections. Be sure to act promptly on any special instructions. We will also email you if any additional action is required of you. 

Your processed FAFSA will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a measure of your family's financial strength and indicates how much of your and your family's financial resources should be available to pay for your educational expenses. Your EFC is calculated by a formula established by the federal government.

Other Considerations in the Financial Aid Application Process:  Verification

The U.S. Department of Education and the Illinois Student Assistance Commission asks us to verify FAFSA information for a group of students they select each year. If you are selected for verification, we will ask you to document your income and submit other verification items as needed.  Your To Do Summary in Campus Connection will reflect items that you will need to submit if you are selected for verification.  Be sure to send us these documents according to the deadline we provide so we can consider you for all financial aid programs.  Carefully review the Frequently Asked Questions about Verification.

*Students in special degree scenarios

Second undergraduate degree:

Students enrolling in a second undergraduate degree program are eligible for consideration only in the Federal Direct Student Loan program and Private Educational loan programs. Please note that the Federal Direct Student Loan Program has an aggregate loan limit for undergraduate studies. This limit is not extended for students returning for a second undergraduate degree. In addition, undergraduate financial aid has an overall maximum program length under the federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. This limit is also not increased for a second undergraduate degree. If you have questions about your financial aid options for the second undergraduate degree, contact the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central for assistance to discuss funding for additional majors, minors or concentrations.