Your first step in learning about study abroad opportunities at DePaul is to visit the International Programs Office (IPO), either in person at either the Loop or Lincoln Park campuses, or by visiting the IPO website. The International Programs Office (IPO) will help you understand the two types of study abroad programs, and help you choose the program that is best for you. The IPO will also guide you through the pre-approval processes needed for study abroad to make sure that all your foreign study credit is pre-approved and applicable to your degree. 

Study Abroad Programs

DePaul-sponsored study abroad programs

These programs allow you to study off-campus in an approved program through DePaul. This is the most common and often the most affordable study abroad option for DePaul students who are participating in financial aid programs, as all financial aid is applicable to these programs.

Non-DePaul programs

These are programs not sponsored or offered through DePaul. They are typically offered by other universities or by external agencies. Financial aid opportunities can be more limited for these programs, and additional financial aid paperwork is always required once academic approval is obtained. For complete information, please visit the IPO website​.

Financial aid resources available for Study Abroad

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and the Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan are the most common funding sources for graduate and professional study abroad opportunities. Information about these loans can be found in the Types of Aid - Federal Direct Loan section of this web site. Graduate and Law students who are already receiving the maximums under the Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan program can often receive additional funding from the Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan. Private educational lenders also offer loans for study abroad educational expenses. 

Undergraduate Students

Useful publication

Study Abroad for Undergraduate Students FAQ  

Graduate and Law Students

To learn about additional Graduate and Law study abroad opportunities, contact your Graduate or Law academic program advisor.