FAQs for using DePaul University’s Transfer Guides
What are Transfer Guides and Static Transfer Guides (STGs) and how are they different?
The Transfer Guides are subject to change, and could possibly change. Changes are made to these guides as program and course changes are made at DePaul and as course articulations from your community college change. The Transfer Guides will likely contain the most current course articulations and changes in program requirements. The STGs are also subject to change, but changes will be made less often. It is your responsibility to remain aware of changes to the curriculum guides or equivalency dates.
How do I make my transfer to DePaul as smooth as possible?
- Find the most up-to-date course and program requirements in the university catalog
- Use the transfer course list
- Contact Transfer Admissions at (312) 362-5551
Also, it is important to remember the following when planning your transfer:
- Only courses that have course equivalencies are displayed on DePaul’s transfer guides. These guides do not show all transferable courses from your selected college. The guide also does not display all DePaul courses which will fulfill a specific requirement
- Guides are intended to be used as planning tools. For the most accurate assistance in the selection of courses to take prior to transferring to DePaul, contact Transfer Admissions at (312) 362-5551
- Transfer Guides are available for the following colleges at DePaul: Business, Communication, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and the College of Education. The College of Computing & Digital Media is in the process of converting to Transfer Guides and many programs and majors have been completed. Transfer course equivalencies are available for individual course articulations into the School for New Learning
- “Course” and “class” are used interchangeably throughout the transfer guides, as are “credit” and “hours.” At DePaul, a course (class) can be offered at various levels of credit (hours) but is most typically one course is four credits
What do I need to know about DePaul’s transfer guides?
Transfer guides show community college students how to choose classes at a community college so that when they transfer to DePaul, the classes will count toward their graduation requirements. Each guide shows the DePaul Liberal Studies requirements (called General Education requirements at other colleges) for the majors in a college or school at DePaul, then lists which courses at the community college have been approved to fulfill those requirements.
How do I convert semester hours into quarter hours?
To convert credit hours from the semester system to credit hours for the quarter system, multiply the number of semester hours by 1.5. For example, 3 semester hours x 1.5 = 4.5 quarter hours.
What types of courses do I need to graduate with a bachelor’s degree?
All students must complete a minimum of 192 quarter hours, consisting of courses in the following:
- Liberal Studies Program (general education)
- Program core
- Major and concentration (if applicable)
- Program and general electives
- Any additional program and graduation requirements