​Required Courses and Course Descriptions

The courses required for the Juris Doctor degree and LL.M. degrees are listed under Degree Programs. Courses descriptions are published on Campus Connection.

Course Prerequisites

A student must complete the necessary prerequisite(s) before taking a course. A student who attempts to register for a course on Campus Connection without a necessary prerequisite will not be able to do so.

Class Materials

Materials reproduced by the Law School for class use are sold through the bookstore.  Textbooks and course materials are located on the lower level. 


First class assignments and syllabi are published on the Law School web site.  If a syllabus does not appear for a particular course, it will be distributed to the students by the instructor.


Lockers are allocated by the Student Life Office, located on the 11th floor of the DePaul Center.  Lockers are allocated for a period of one academic year.   If a student does not renew a locker rental, the University will empty the locker at the end of the academic year in June.

Official Transcripts

The University Student Records Office on the ninth floor of the DePaul Center issues official DePaul transcripts.  The College of Law cannot issue transcripts. Official transcripts may be ordered on Campus Connection, www.depaul.edu or from the University Student Records web site, http://sr.depaul.edu. Students may order ten free official transcripts per year.

Changes of Addresses, Phone Numbers, Names and E-Mail Addresses

Students who change their names must bring legal proof of a name change to the Academic Resource Center (9th floor DePaul Center).  Names on diplomas appear exactly as they appear on Campus Connection. Students may update all other demographic information on the University web site, www.depaul.edu, under "Campus Connection" and "Demographic Portfolio." Students have the option of listing three different addresses and phone numbers, including business, home and mailing addresses.  Several e-mail addresses may be listed as well.

Students Must Insure That Their Preferred E-Mail Address On Campus Connection Is Correct At All Times. If Your E-Mail Address Is Not Correct On Campus Connection, You Will Not Receive Information Necessary To Pursue Your Law School Studies.  Failure To Provide A Correct E-Mail Address Will Not Excuse Non-Compliance With Rules, Regulations Or Requirements Communicated By The Law School Via E-Mail. 

Payment of Charges

Tuition and fees are payable in full at the time specified in the registration materials, unless a student enrolls in either DePepper (employer reimbursement) or DePupp (monthly payment plan).   Information on those programs may be found at www.depaul.edu under the Student Financial Accounts Office.   Generally, past-due tuition and fees must be paid in full before a student may register.

Financial Delinquency

Any student who fails to make timely payments as required by the Student Financial Accounts Office will be charged a $100.00 late penalty. Students with delinquent accounts are subject to suspension and exclusion from classes. They may be barred from receiving official transcripts, registering for a subsequent semester, receiving a degree or being certified for admission to the bar.

Dishonored Checks

A $25 fee is charged for each dishonored check.

Tuition Refund Policy

Tuition will be refunded only if a student withdraws before the end of the second week of classes in the fall and spring semesters and before the end of the first week of classes in the summer semester.  A tuition refund is not available after those deadlines.  Students who  add courses after those deadlines will be charged extra for the added credits.

Internet Services

The College of Law's media and technology staff understands the important role technology plays in the learning experience and strives to identify and fulfill the technology needs of all College of Law faculty, staff and students.

For computer assistance, see Ali Belkairous, room 519 Lewis. Office - (312) 362-5216. Cell - (312) 479-2612. Or Tony Cartolano, room 228 Lewis. Office - (312) 362-8123. Cell - (312) 479-2623.

Wireless networking (Wi-F9)

Registered students have wireless access throughout DePaul University campuses and must have a DePaul wireless card. For information about the card, see http://wireless.depaul.edu/. The Lewis, O'Malley and Daley buildings provide wireless internet services 24/7, and law students have the ability to print directly from their laptops via "iPrint from Anywhere" without having to first transfer documents to DePaul's lab computers. 

The University web site is www.depaul.edu. Student information is password protected and is available under Campus Connection.  Campus Connection will give students access to:

  • Demographic Profile  –  Update e-mail address, mailing or business address telephone numbers.
  • Grades and Course Histories  –  Access grades and course histories (unofficial transcripts that include courses taken, credits earned and GPAs).
  • Class Search  –  See what courses are open or closed, room assignments and professors.
  • Student Course List  –  After you register, review your class schedule.
  • Change PIN  –  Change your University assigned password.
  • Web Registration  –  Allows registration for classes on the web.
  • Student Accounts  –  Obtain a complete financial record.

The College of Law web site is www.law.depaul.edu. It contains Law Career Services information, Law Library information, course syllabi, course descriptions, class ranks, financial aid information, scholarship information and a listing of current events.

Passwords.  The University Identification Services Office (9th floor DePaul Center) assigns all DePaul students user identifications and passwords to access Campus Connection on the University web site.  Students are encouraged to change their password to a number or word they can easily remember

E-Mail Accounts.  All DePaul students are assigned free e-mail accounts by the Identification Services Office.   E-mail addresses consist of the first letter of the person’s first name and the first seven letters of their last name.  University e-mail extensions are as follows: students use @students.depaul.edu; law faculty and administrative staff use @depaul.edu.

Reservation of Rooms and Scheduling of Events

The law school Events Coordinator maintains a schedule of room use. Anyone who wants to use a room for any purpose other than a regularly scheduled class must submit an on-line room reservation request through on the College of Law web site.

Use of Facilities

Only organizations associated with the Law School may use school facilities. However, groups not associated with the Law School may reserve rooms or tables in the DePaul Center Student Center or the University Conference Center (8th floor DePaul Center).

Most Loop buildings operate under a schedule that has them open and accessible Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday schedules will typically operate between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.   Access to buildings during off-hours (i.e., late evenings, weekends and holidays) may be obtained by contacting the University Public safety Office, which will require a written request, in advance. The request should include name, department, building/floor/room number to be accessed, date, time and estimated duration of visit, and reason for access. All persons who attend will be required to present identification, and in some cases, sign-in when arriving on campus on the specified dates and times. Additionally, Faculity Operations will not alter the heating, ventilation or air conditioning service schedule to accommodate off-hours access.

Lost and Found

A lost and found service is located in the Public Safety Office (lower level of Lewis Center).

Identification Cards

Photo identification cards are issued by the University Identification Services Office.  An ID card is necessary to enter the Law Library and computer labs. All students are also assigned a student identification number.


A special parking rate is available to students in nearby parking lots.   Students must stamp their parking receipts in the machine by the security desk in the Lewis Center lobby or in the DePaul Center lobby.

DePaul Campus Facilities

College of Law students are welcome to use the recreational facilities on all of the DePaul campuses.  Identification cards are required to use the facilities. Students are charged a membership fee to use athletic facilities.

Personal Mail

Students may not use the Law School address for personal mail. They may use the fax machines designated for student use.

Emergency Cancellation of Classes/Closure of the University

In the event it becomes necessary to close the University, the closure will be announced over local media and on the University web site.

Alcoholic Beverages

Alcoholic beverages may not be sold or consumed on school property unless an event is sponsored by an authorized student organization and faculty advisor. The University Associate Vice President must approve all requests to serve alcohol. Alcohol may not be served before 6:00 p.m., and non-alcoholic beverages and food must be available during the entire duration of the event. At least one Public Safety officer must be present. Advertising of the event shall not include pictures, images or depictions of the use of alcohol. For more information about the alcohol policy and the alcohol permission request form, see www.law.depaul.edu > Current Students > Organizations & Journals.

Smoking Policy

Smoking is not permitted in any DePaul buildings.

Escort Service

The DePaul University Public Safety Department provides an escort service for students, staff and faculty when circumstances require them to travel alone on campus, in isolated areas after dark or whenever there is otherwise a concern for their personal safety.

Building Hours

Building and Library hours are posted in the front lobby display cases in Lewis.

Health Insurance

The DePaul University Student Health Plan has been developed especially for DePaul University students and their eligible dependents. The Plan provides coverage for illnesses and injuries that occur on or off campus and includes special cost-saving features to keep the coverage as affordable as possible. The Plan is underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company.  The Plan includes a Preferred Provider Organization through Aetna. If you obtain care from these preferred providers, you will reduce the cost of health care substantially. All DePaul students are eligible for the Student Health Insurance as long as they are taking classes in the current semester.

If you have any questions, please visit Aetna's  website or call the Chickering Claims Administrators Inc.’s Customer Service Department at (800) 878-1938 and reference DePaul’s policy number of 7111116. Alternately, contact the Student Affairs Office at (312) 362-5680.

The American Bar Association also offers student health insurance for members. Information is available on its web site.


General housing information can be found on the College of Law web site.   The University has a housing service for all current and prospective members of the University community called the Housing Resource Center.

University Counseling Services

The University Counseling Service offers counseling to DePaul students.  Services include individual, couple and group counseling. The Counseling office is located on the 11th floor of the DePaul Center. The telephone number is (773) 325-7779.

University Ministry

Campus Ministry is open and available to persons of all faiths.  Thomas Judge is the College of Law chaplin (312/362-6699). The Campus Ministry offices are located in Room 11009  of the DePaul Center and on the second floor of the Stuart Center on the Lincoln Park campus.  For information, call (312) 362-6910.

Office of Student Legal Services

The Office of Student Legal Services provides free or low-cost advice to DePaul students on wide range of common problems, including contract disputes, misdemeanor criminal offenses,  routine traffic violations, landlord-tenant disputes and other minor legal problems. The Office is located on the Lincoln Park Campus, 990 West Fullerton Avenue, 1st Floor. The phone number is (773) 325-4959.

U-Pass (CTA Passes)

All DePaul University College of Law students who are currently taking 9 or more credits automatically qualify for a U-Pass good for use on Chicago Transportation Authority (CTA) trains and buses. Students who register for summer classes are also eligible for the U-Pass.  Photo identification cards are required to obtain a U-Pass. Pictures are taken at the beginning of each academic semester both in the Law School student lounge and in the DePaul Center Student Union (11th floor).  U-Pass cards are valid while classes are in session.  They are not valid during DePaul class holidays.

Privacy Rights and Access to Educational Records

DePaul University College of Law respects the privacy of its students.   The Family Educational and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford students certain rights with respect to their educational records:

  1. The right to inspect and review records upon written request; and
  2. The right to request and amend records that are inaccurate or misleading.  Should students wish to have their records amended, they must write the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and identify the part of the record that they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the Assistant Dean decides not to amend the record as requested, she will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.

The Law School will not disclose information from the educational records of a student without his or her prior written consent, except:

  1. to school officials, including teachers, within the educational institution who have a legitimate educational interest in the records. A school official is defined as a person employed by the University or the Law School in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position, including law enforcement personnel and health personnel; a person or company with whom the University has contracted to provide services; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee; or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks;
  2. to officials of another school in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
  3. to certain authorized representatives of the United States and state agencies who require such information to carry out lawful functions;
  4. in connection with the student's application for, or receipt of, financial aid;
  5. to organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, educational agencies or institutions if these studies are conducted in a manner that will not permit the personal identification of students and if the information will be destroyed when no longer needed;
  6. to accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions;
  7. to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; or
  8. to appropriate parties in health or safety emergencies.

Directory Information

If a student does not want his or her name, address, or phone number published, the student must block the release of that information through Campus Connection.

DePaul University College of Law reserves the right to release the following student information: name; date and place of birth; local address; telephone number; e-mail address; home address and phone number; enrollment status and dates of attendance; positions held;  place of employment and phone number; memberships in officially recognized campus organizations and teams, degrees earned, special awards and recognition given; and information requested by the Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar and bar exam officials of other states.

Tuition and Fees

For information on tuition and fees, see the University Student Accounts web site.

Proof of Immunization

DePaul University complies with Illinois law, which requires post-secondary institutions to submit an annual report on student immunization. All students born on or after January 1, 1957 and enrolled half-time must provide proof of immunization for the following: Tetanus/Diptheria, Measles (Rubeola), Mumps and Rubells (German Measles). Submit records to the University Student Records Office. Information and forms are available on the Student Records website . Students who lack proof of immunization are blocked from registering.