The Master of Arts in Writing and Publishing offers advanced training in the art and craft of writing poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. The program combines the practical experience of writing workshops and studies in language and style with course work in literary studies, pedagogy, editing, publishing, and other topics. The Master of Arts in Writing and Publishing attends to publishing as an integral part of the practice of the creative writer and affords interested students the opportunity to gain first-hand experience with various facets of the publishing industry.
The M.A. in Writing and Publishing seeks to meet the needs of a range of students, including the following:
- Students with interest and experience in creative writing, including fiction, poetry, and a variety of nonfiction genres.
- Professional writers, including freelance writers and staff writers for general and trade publications or the Internet.
- Feature writers for daily, weekly, or monthly newspapers.
- General and specialized editors employed by publishing houses, magazines, and corporations.
- Working professionals for whom high-quality writing is an essential component of their jobs.
- Current and prospective teachers of English and/or writing at the secondary or post-secondary level.
- Students seeking a master's-level foundation for further graduate work in creative writing, English, teaching, or related fields.
Courses in the Master of Arts in Writing and Publishing are offered at DePaul's Lincoln Park and Loop campuses. Students may complete their degree requirements with courses taken at either location.