Academic Advising at DePaul helps students achieve their educational, personal, and career goals by providing guidance and assistance in the decision-making process. Academic Advising is most effective when all participants anticipate their future needs, commit to the process, do their part, and then reflect on their results. Students should work closely with their advisors to plan workable educational goals, to understand the degree options and requirements, to understand the financial implications of their decisions, to assess their strengths and challenges as scholars, and to clarify realistic career objectives for themselves upon graduation.
Students bear ultimate responsibility for decisions and actions that determine their success at DePaul University.
- Students will make informed decisions and register for classes on time.
- Students will obtain the necessary information for course selection and planning in their individualized programs.
- Students will make and keep appointments with their advisors.
- Students will communicate honestly and fully in these advising discussions.
- Students will regularly reflect on the consequences, both academic and financial, of their decisions as they progress in their academic careers toward life choices.
Advisors are responsible for helping students improve their decision making skills.
- Advisors guide students through this learning process during regular interactions at key points during their academic careers.
- Advisors will be available on a regular basis for consultation and encourage students to make and keep regular advising appointments.
- Advisors will monitor their advisees’ academic progress.
- Advisors will encourage students to consult available material related to their program and career choice.
- Advisors will encourage students to reflect on the academic and financial consequences of their decisions about degree programs and course-taking plans.
- Advisors will assist students to set realistic career goals that extend beyond their time at DePaul.
- Advisors will encourage students to incorporate their basic values and beliefs into their decision making process.
The university is responsible for providing the infrastructure for students, faculty, and staff to support effective advising.
- The university will provide the information that students and their advisors need to make informed and timely decisions.
- The university will provide adequate resources of personnel, funding and facilities to support the advising process.
- The university will clearly communicate to advisors and students the policies and options regarding student financial aid.
- The university will regularly evaluate the policies and procedures surrounding advising to improve the advising process on an ongoing basis.
- The university will provide training to help both advisors and students work more effectively together.
- The university will acknowledge the important contribution advisors make by recognizing advising within the institutional reward system.