The College of Education offers approved programs for State of Illinois certification in ten areas of study. Students may be eligible for the following certificates upon completion of the respective programs:
- Type 03 Elementary (K-9) Teaching
- Type 04 Early Childhood Education
- Type 09 Secondary (6-12) Teaching
- Type 10 Special (K-12): Learning and Behavioral Specialist I
- Type 10 Special (K-12): Physical Education
- Type 10 Special (K-12): Reading Specialist
- Type 10 Special (K-12): World Language
- Type 73 School Service Personnel Certificate: School Counseling
- Type 75 Administrative Certificate: General Administrative Endorsement
- Type 75 Administrative Certificate: Superintendent Endorsement
Please note that state certificates include requirements beyond program requirements. For Type 03, 04, and 09 certificates three tests are required: a test of basic skills, a test of subject matter knowledge, and a test of professional teaching knowledge and skills. For Type 10, 73, and 75 certificates a test of content area knowledge is required. The tests are given by the State of Illinois at regularly scheduled times each year. Students are advised to confer with program faculty or the academic advisors for further information.
Certification is not automatic upon completion of a program. The student must apply. Forms and procedural information are available in the College of Education.
Timeliness is important. Ordinarily, only graduate work completed within the past ten years is acceptable for purposes of applying courses for certification requirements. If the degree was granted more than ten years past, the Assistant Dean in consultation with program faculty may grant a recommendation for certification upon the successful completion of appropriate courses and/or comprehensive examinations in the program. In all instances current certification requirements must be met.
All certification and endorsement requirements are subject to change based on Illinois State Board of Education modifications in requirements. All individuals must meet ISBE requirements in place at the time of application for the certificate