To be eligible for the Principal Preparation licensure program with Catholic Leadership Concentration, students must hold a master’s degree from an accredited college or university. They must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher at the undergraduate level and a 3.25 or higher at the graduate level. Students must also possess at least two years of fulltime successful teaching experience, hold a valid Illinois teaching license, and possess proof of passing the basic skills or test of academic proficiency. At the time of program completion, students must have at least 4 years of full-time, successful teaching experience to apply for licensure.
To apply, please submit the following items to The Office of Graduate Admission:
- A completed graduate application
- Application fee ($40.00)
- A copy of valid Illinois teaching license
- Proof of passing Basic Skills Test or TAP Exam
- One official transcript from all colleges and/or universities attended
- Letters from district office recommending entrance into the principal preparation program
- Four letters of recommendation (two from a supervisor and two from colleagues)
- Resume showing evidence of adequate background for the program
- Statement of purpose indicating why you want to be a principal
Licensure Only (Catholic School strand)
The principal licensure program at DePaul University is an approved Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) program. It is a rigorous program preparing principals and assistant principals for work service in public and private schools in the state of Illinois.
This is a 48 quarter hour program that prepares candidates for state licensure and specifically prepares candidates for the Principalship or Assistant Principalship in Catholic schools.
Educational Leadership Courses: 40 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required in all courses
Curriculum Studies Courses: 8 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required in all courses
Specific requirements for entrance into the principal licensure program may be obtained from the office of graduate admissions or the LLC department office.
Individuals seeking the principal licensure must:
- Complete an approved principal licensure program at an Illinois institution
- Complete all state-mandated training and examination
- Have successfully completed the internship experiences
- Hold a Master's degree
Upon successful completion of all principal licensure program requirements and any additional requirements, students must apply for their license. Students are to work with the College of Education's Licensure Officer when applying for the license.
Note: Courses in this program leading to the principal licensure are designed for practicing educators and are not open to students and any other program without the specific permission of the educational leadership program director.