To be eligible for the Reading Specialist with LBS1 endorsement only program, students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and a valid Illinois teaching license.
To apply, please submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Admission:
- A completed graduate application
- Application fee ($40.00)
- Copy of a valid Illinois teacher license
- A bachelor’s degree conferred by an accredited, recognized institution
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from persons familiar with your academic work
- One official transcript from each college or university attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae showing evidence of adequate background for the program.
- The admission process also may include an interview with program faculty.
admitted to the Reading Specialist program may elect to pursue the LBS1
endorsement. This option is only available to students admitted to the Reading Specialist program.
Students must complete four courses in addition to the
Reading Specialist program. These courses are:
Students may take these courses concurrently with or at the end of the Reading Specialist program. Students must consult their Faculty Advisor if they elect to pursue the LBS1 option.
Reading Specialist plus LBS1 students must complete the following tests (in addition to tests required for the Reading Specialist license):
LBS1 Content Area Test (test #155) – assesses knowledge of working with students with disabilities and special needs.