Communications and E-Mail Addresses

Students receive a DePaul student e-mail address when they enroll. However, they may use other e-mail addresses as long as they enter those addresses as “preferred” on Campus Connection. Students must insure that their e-mail address on Campus Connection is correct at all times. If your e-mail address is not correct on Campus Connection, you may not receive information necessary to pursue your law studies. Failure to provide a correct e-mail address will not excuse non-compliance with rules, regulations or requirements communicated by the law school via e-mail.

To update your email address, go to the University website, > log onto Campus Connection. Under “For Students,” click on “Demographic Portfolio.” Update your email addresses. Check the one you plan to use as “Preferred.” All law school notices will be sent to your “Preferred” email address.

Many e-mail systems enforce filter software, which might block important messages. The College of Law uses numerous e-mail addresses to inform students of registration times, exams, schedules, events and important news. In order to receive e-mail from the law school, we recommend the following:

  1. Please review your junk mail filter settings and select the appropriate level.
  2. Please add,, and to your address book. Also add and

Employment Limitation for Full-Time JD Students

The American Bar Association rules permit College of Law full-time students to be employed for a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session. If a student must work more than 20 hours per week, the student must transfer to the part-time division. If full-time first-year students feel compelled to work, they should be careful to limit their hours so as not to interfere with their studies. Students are expected to arrange their work schedule around College of Law classes. Adjustments in the curriculum or final exams will not be made because of work conflicts. 

Class Attendance Rules

Attendance is mandatory for all law school classes.  Each instructor may establish penalties for lack of attendance. At his or her discretion, an instructor may give the student a grade of FX (apparent withdrawal), lower the final grade or require the student to withdraw from the class. In the event of a mandatory withdrawal, tuition for the class will not be refunded.

Limited Enrollment Course Attendance 

If a student registers for a limited enrollment course such as a senior research seminar, a litigation skills course or a practice skills course, and does not attend the first week of the class, the instructor may prohibit the student from taking the class.  A student compelled to withdraw from a class will not receive a tuition refund if the official refund deadline has passed.

Class Attendance in Proper Section

Students are required to attend the section of a course for which they are registered. A student may not attend another section of the same course, even if taught by the same instructor.

Recording of Class Sessions

Classes may be recorded only with the permission of the instructor.  Students with disabilities who must tape classes as an accommodation for their disability should make arrangements with the University Office for Students with Disabilities and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.

Required Courses

Students must take all required courses at the time prescribed and in the sequence designated by the College of Law. First year students may not drop required courses or take reduced class loads unless there are extraordinary extenuating circumstances and the student obtains the consent of the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs. Required courses must be taken at DePaul and cannot be taken at another law school with the exception of students who transfer to DePaul after their first year elsewhere.

Courses With Prerequisites

Some courses have mandatory prerequisites.  Prerequisites must be completed before a student may enroll in those courses.  Students may not take a course and its prerequisite course simultaneously. 

Registration, Tuition Refunds and Add/Drop Deadlines


Registration takes place according to a schedule pre-arranged in advance by the University Office of Student Records (“SR”). A student’s enrollment date is based on seniority according to the number of cumulative credits earned. Registration for the summer and fall semesters takes place in the spring.  Registration for the spring semester takes place in the fall. Students must use the Campus Connection registration website to register, add or drop a course.

Registration instructions are emailed to students before the opening of registration each semester and are posted on (1) the College of Law website,, and (2) the University Office of Student Records website,

Add/Drop Deadline

Once registration begins, it remains open until the end of the add/drop period, which is two weeks after the beginning of each semester.

Course Changes after Add/Drop Deadline

A course may not be added after the add/drop deadline. A course may be dropped on Campus Connection up until the end of the sixth week of the semester. Thereafter, a student who wishes to drop a course must contact the College of Law Office of Student Affairs. For any course dropped after the add/drop deadline, a grade of WA (“administrative withdrawal”) will appear on the student’s transcript. The WA does not affect the student’s GPA. A course may be dropped once the reading period before exams begins.

Deadline for Tuition Refunds

The deadline to withdraw from a course and receive a tuition refund is the close of the add/drop period, which is the end of the second week of a semester.  The deadline date is published on the academic calendar on the College of Law website.

A student may withdraw from a course after the close of the add/drop deadline up until the last scheduled class day of a semester (i.e., before the reading period begins), but tuition will not be refunded. Simply not attending class does not constitute a withdrawal. A student may use Campus Connection to withdraw until the eighth week of the semester. Thereafter, the student must go to the Office of Student Affairs to request a late withdrawal. 

Non-Classroom Credit Hours: 12-Credit Limit

The faculty has designated certain courses for pass/fail status.  A student may not elect to take a course pass/fail that has not been so designated.

A JD student may earn a maximum of 12 credit hours for non-classroom courses, most of which are graded pass/fail. Courses that count toward the 12-credit non-classroom limit include: the Journal of Art. Technology & Intellectual Property Law Editorial Board; the Business & Commercial Law Journal Editorial Board; Field Placement; the Health Care Law Journal Editorial Board; the Law Review Editorial Board; The Journal Of Social Justice editorial board; The Journal of Sports Law and Contemporary Problems editorial board; National and International Moot Court Competitions; Guided Research; LARC TA’s and Independent Study.  With the exception of Independent Study, all of the above courses are graded pass/fail.

Registration for the Field Placement Program

The Field Placement Program is designed to give upper-level students practical legal experience through an externship with a government agency, not-for-profit legal organization, member of the judiciary, private firm, or a corporation.  Students first must complete 28 or more credits with a GPA of at least 2.00 to be eligible. Students may participate in a maximum of two one-semester field placements while in law school. Students earn either two or three credits per semester.

To register, a student must submit an application to the Coordinator, Natalie Wolfe, 320 Lewis Center. She then turns in a permission slip for registration for the approved students. LL.M. students should submit their permission slips to Virginia Knittle, the Assistant to the Vice Dean.  The registration must be completed by the end of the first week of classes.

Additional information about the Field Placement Program is available on the College of Law website,, and at the Field Placement Office.

Registration for Clinical Programs

Students desiring to take a Legal Clinic must obtain a registration permission slip from the supervising clinical professor and turn it in to Lorraine Schulz in the Office of Student Affairs. Clinical programs are described on the College of Law website:

711 Licenses

Upon completing 43 credit hours or one half of the credits required to graduate, a J.D. student may obtain an Illinois Supreme Court Rule 711 License to practice law under the terms and conditions set forth in the Rule.  Licenses are available only for students who perform legal services for government agencies or not-for-profit organizations. 

A student may apply for the license at the end of the semester in which he or she completes the requisite number of hours; however, the license cannot be processed until grades for those hours have been submitted, which occurs either in late January (fall semester, or late June (spring semester). The link to the Court’s application form is on the law school website under Registration.  Completed applications (including the supervising adviser’s signature and the required photograph) should be turned in to Natasha Hatchett in the Office of Student Affairs. The application will be forwarded to the Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts, which issues the license and mails it to the student. Processing time is 3 - 6 weeks.

Registration for Independent Study

Independent study permits a student to pursue an area of interest in-depth under the supervision of a full-time faculty member.  To do an independent study, a JD student must have completed 28 credits and have a 3.0 cumulative GPA. The student must make supervisory arrangements with a full-time tenured faculty member with expertise in the student’s area of interest.  Independent study fulfills the JD advanced writing requirement.

An extensive research paper must be completed as part of an independent study.  Independent study is a graded course for which three hours of credit are awarded.  A student may enroll for a maximum of two independent studies during law school.

To register for an independent study, JD students must obtain written approval from the supervising faculty member and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  Independent study forms are available on the College of Law website.  Completed forms should be turned in to the Office of Student Affairs.

LL.M. students interested in independent study should contact Virginia Knittle, Assistant to the Vice Dean.

Registration for Guided Research

Students who wish to perform guided research must make supervisory arrangements with a faculty member.  A student must have completed a minimum of 28 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.  A student may enroll in guided research for either one or two hours in a semester.  Guided research does not fulfill the advanced writing requirement.

To register for guided research, a student must obtain written approval from the supervising faculty member and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  Guided research forms are available on the College of Law website.  Completed forms should be turned in to the Office of Student Affairs.

Auditing Classes

A JD or LL.M. student may audit a course only if the student registers to do so with the Office of Student Affairs.  Audit requests must be filed by the following deadlines:

Fall Semester: October 1
Spring Semester: March 1
Summer Semester: June 15

The following courses may not be audited: courses required for graduation, advanced writing courses, litigation skills courses, practice skills courses, clinics, externships, guided research, independent study and non-classroom pass/fail courses.

An auditor does not receive a grade in or credit for the course. Students may not convert from auditing to graded status or vice versa.  A student who has audited a course may not thereafter take that course for credit. A person not enrolled as a student at the College of Law may audit a course only with the permission of the Vice Dean.

To register to audit a course, JD students register for the class via Campus Connection and file a request form with Lorraine Schulz in the Office of Student Affairs. LL.M. and non-degree-seeking students must meet with Virginia Knittle, Assistant to the Vice Dean.