Students must take 3 graduate level elective courses in the areas of statistical modeling, data mining or database technologies according to the following rules:
- Students must take 1 500-level CNS, CSC, ECT, GAM, GPH, HCI, HIT, IS, IT, PM, SE, or TDC elective.
- Students must take 2 courses among the following:
Students have the option of completing a real world Data Analytics Project, or completing the Predictive Analytics Capstone course, or participating in a Data Analytics Internship or completing a Master's Thesis to fulfill their Capstone requirement.
- Data Analytics Project
- The real data analytics project is for students who are interested in working in a small team on a research project under the supervision of a CDM faculty. A list of available projects is published on the dampa center website (http://dampa.cdm.depaul.edu). Students who are interested in proposing their own data analytics project are encouraged to contact a CDM faculty member teaching analytics courses as soon as possible. Students must enroll in CSC 695 MASTER'S RESEARCH for a total of 4 credit hours taken in two consecutive quarters (2 credit hours for 2 quarters) to satisfy the capstone requirement. The faculty who supervises the project will initiate enrollment in the CSC 695 course.
- Predictive Analytics Capstone course
CSC 672 PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS CAPSTONE
course offers the opportunity of working on an analytics project in a more structured class format. Students enrolled in the courses will be working in teams on a data analytics project under the supervision of the course instructor.
- Analytics Internship
- An internship offers students the opportunity to integrate their academic experience with on-the-job training in an analytics related field. Students must enroll in CSC 697 GRADUATE INTERNSHIPfor 4 credit hours to satisfy the practicum requirement. These are the steps: 1) Secure an internship with focus in analytics. 2) International Students must obtain the appropriate practical training form and meet with an advisor in the CDM Academic Center for approval. (http://oiss.depaul.edu/Requests/Forms/index.asp) 3) Login to MyCDM and click the “MyInternships” link on the left to start the course enrollment process.
- Master's Thesis
- A student who has made an original contribution to the area (typically, through work done by CSC 695 MASTER'S RESEARCH) may choose to complete a Master's Thesis. The student and the student's research advisor should form a Master's Thesis Committee of 3 faculty. The student will need to submit to the committee a thesis detailing the results of the research project. After a public defense, the committee will decide whether to accept the thesis. In that case, the student will be allowed to register for the 0 credit hour course CSC 698 MASTER'S THESIS and the transcript will show the thesis title as the course topic.