To be considered for admission, students should have a bachelor’s degree in English or the equivalent. A student with a bachelor’s degree in another field of study may be asked to take additional undergraduate course work in English before beginning graduate study in the program. For full admission, an applicant must present the following:
- A completed application.
- Official transcripts detailing course work from all colleges and universities you have attended. If you send transcripts directly to DePaul, they must be in a sealed envelope with the official registrar's stamp across the envelope flap.
- A strong record of previous academic achievement: 3.0 GPA.
- A personal statement, from three hundred to five hundred words long, describing the student’s particular interests in English and American literature, objectives in applying to DePaul’s M.A. in English program, and plans for the future.
- A representative sample of academic or professional writing that indicates the candidate’s ability to do well in advanced study in English and American literature.
- Scores in the Graduate Record Examination General Test or letters of recommendation, though not required, may be submitted to strengthen an application. Students applying for graduate assistantships must submit these GRE scores. Two letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate’s ability to succeed in graduate study are also required for those applying for graduate assistantships.
- In addition to the Online Application, all application materials must be submitted to the DePaul University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Office of Graduate Admission, 2400 N. Sheffield, Chicago, IL 60614.
We strongly suggest that students submit their applications at least ten weeks prior to the quarter in which they wish to begin their studies. Those students who wish to apply for graduate assistantships should submit their application materials no later than January 15 prior to the academic year for which they wish to receive an assistantship. Applicants may send the personal statement and writing sample by email to GradDePaul@depaul.edu. If their university offers the option of sending official transcripts electronically, they can also be sent to GradDePaul@depaul.edu. The letters of recommendation may be sent by email if the recommender has scanned a hardcopy letter on letterhead, saved it as a PDF and attached it to the email. The email address should be the university or business email address. Applicants must fill in a cover form on which they waive her/his right to see the letter. This can also be scanned and sent by email. If the recommender prefers to send hardcopy, it should still be sent to the DePaul University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Office of Graduate Admission, 2400 N. Sheffield, Chicago, IL 60614.
Have you already applied? To check the status of your application, please contact the LAS Graduate Division directly by calling (773) 325-7315, or by faxing a letter to (773) 325-2395, or by e-mailing GradDePaul@depaul.edu.