The Interdisciplinary Studies Program (IDS) is an innovative, flexible, and highly individualized graduate program designed to meet students’ academic and professional goals. The program gives students the opportunity to design a program of study tailored to their own needs and interests. When students choose IDS, they take on the exciting challenge of creating their own curriculum and unique plan for learning. Creating an individualized program requires maturity, self-motivation, and independence. Students seeking a combination of flexible options and academic challenges are natural IDS candidates. IDS is a creative alternative to more rigid traditional, discipline-specific programs. Students can build their particular academic or professional interests and concentrate on specialized fields that are not available in traditional graduate programs.
The program offers students individualized cross-disciplinary majors, incorporating courses drawn from social sciences, humanities, business, computer and information science, and public service. The IDS Program is jointly administered with the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Program (MALS); IDS students are welcome to enroll in MALS Core Courses and cross-lists.
The program offers the following:
- Individual, self-designed graduate program of study that builds on specific academic and professional interests.
- Ability to combine various academic disciplines in chosen areas of study.
- Choice of courses in most colleges and schools.
The MS in Interdisciplinary Studies may also be expanded to include select graduate certificate programs covering particular areas of interest. Students participating in a combined MS/certificate program should consult with their academic advisor to determine what coursework might count toward both programs. A separate application process for the certificate is required. Students who are interested in any of the following combination programs should contact the Graduate Student Services Office for additional information.
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Community Development Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Digital Humanities Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Global Health Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Metro Planning and Development Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Public Health Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Social Research Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate
- Interdisciplinary Studies + Women’s and Gender Studies Certificate