Application review begins Dec 15th, 2012 and continues on a rolling deadline basis through April 15th, 2013.
The M.A. in International Studies is an academically demanding two-year program. Each autumn term a new cohort of twenty to thirty students begins to work through the courses and thesis colloquia together.
The Master’s program begins its sequence of classes in the Autumn Quarter, so we only admit students to the program to begin in the Autumn Quarter. There are no Winter or Spring admissions. All of our graduate classes are offered in the evening
Minimum Requirements for Acceptance into the M.A. Program
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited undergraduate institution
- GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Grade of B or better in a college level modern language (other than English) course beyond the second year or the equivalent score on a language placement exam
- For students who completed their undergraduate degree in a language other than English, a minimum TOEFL reading score of 22, writing score of 24, and total score of 79 or higher is required.
A complete application for the International Studies Master’s Program includes the following:
1. Application Form - online at http://www.depaul.edu/admission-and-aid/types-of-admission/graduate-student/Pages/las.aspx
2. Application Fee of $40.00 US Dollars--submitted with the application or mailed as check or money order (payable to DePaul University).
3. One official sealed transcript from an accredited institution that shows successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree with at least a 3.2 GPA (on a 4.0 scale). Please note: Official translations must be submitted for all educational documents originally issued in a language other than English.
4. Two letters of recommendation on letterhead
The most useful letters are those written by professors with whom you have worked, preferably in a class related to international studies. In any case, recommenders should address your:
• writing abilities,
• analytical skills,
• motivation and readiness for graduate study,
• ability to do independent work, and
• ability to see a project through to completion.
5. Statement of Purpose (2-5 pages) that describes the following: Why you want to pursue an MA in International Studies at DePaul University, how this program will further your academic and professional goals, your primary research interests, and a thesis topic you would like to pursue
6. Writing Sample: Submit an analytical paper of 5-8 pages. Papers should demonstrate your writing and critical thinking abilities, ideally in a subject area related to international studies.
7. GRE Scores
For International Students Only
Students with undergraduate degrees earned outside the United States should submit official educational credentials and evaluation fee to one of the following companies. Contact the Graduate Admission office at 773/325-7315 for more information regarding this requirement.
- One Earth International Credential Evaluation
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
- Educational Perspectives (EP)
Applicants are encouraged to contact the program at 773-325-7456 to set up a preadmission information session either in person or by phone. A personal interview is not required for admission.