Students with a bachelor's degree in any field will be considered for admission. For admission, a student must present:
- A completed application.
- Official transcripts detailing course work from all colleges and universities you have attended. If you send transcripts directly to DePaul, they must be in a sealed envelope with the official registrar's stamp across the envelope flap.
- A strong record of previous academic achievement.
- Relevant course work in creative writing or experience gained through endeavors such as publishing original work and/or participation in a writers' circle or group.
- A résumé that summarizes your education and relevant experience.
- A reflective essay, from 500 to 750 words long, describing your objectives in applying to DePaul's M.A. in Writing and Publishing program and your plans for the future. The admissions committee takes this statement seriously, so please be as specific as possible about how and why this program would help you reach your creative and personal goals.
- A portfolio (approximately 25 pages) of representative creative writing. You may submit creative nonfiction (including narrative journalism), fiction, poetry, or a combination. If you are submitting poetry, please ensure that at least half of your portfolio contains samples of your prose writing. [N.B. Portfolio documents should be stapled, not sent in bound or laminated form. Include your name at the top of each portfolio page.]
- An application fee of $40. Make checks payable to "DePaul University."
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Scores in the Graduate Record Exam are required for students applying for graduate assistantships.
We accept applications all year round, and students may begin their studies in any academic term. We strongly suggest that students submit their applications at least ten weeks prior to the quarter in which they wish to begin their studies (late June for fall entry, late October for winter entry, mid-January for spring entry). Those students who wish to apply for graduate assistantships should submit their application materials no later than January 15 prior to the academic year for which they wish to receive an assistantship. ALL application materials should be sent to the following address: Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Graduate Admission, DePaul University, 2400 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago, IL 60614.