DePaul University's Clinical Psychology program prepares students to become excellent researchers and clinicians who have a firm grounding in the theory, research, and practice of psychology.
The Clinical Psychology Program (which includes both Child and Community areas of emphasis or tracks) is one of four Ph.D. programs in the Department of Psychology at DePaul University. The American Psychological Association (APA) first accredited the Clinical Program in 1976, and it has held continuous APA accreditation since then. The Clinical Program trains students within the scientist-practitioner model, providing training in both research and practice.
The Clinical Program has four broad program goals:
- To educate students broadly and generally about psychology and instill a commitment to life-long learning
- To prepare graduates with knowledge and skills to engage in and shape research and scholarship
- To prepare graduates for diverse leadership career paths in the practice of clinical psychology and more in-depth preparation in child and/or community applications and policy
- To prepare graduates to work in the public sector, in an urban environment, with diverse ethnic and socio-economic populations, and with those who have been traditionally underserved by psychology
Program objectives are for students to acquire understanding and competence in psychological theory, research, and practice, with particular attention to developmental psychopathology, community psychology, evidence-based treatments, dissemination, and program evaluation with children, adolescents, and families of diverse backgrounds. Our program's diversity focus is intended to promote students' understanding about the societal and systemic/ecological forces that have contributed to current manifestations of inequality for many diverse groups such as for poor, urban, and ethnically diverse populations and on how these conditions influence mental health, family/community processes, and access to mental health services.
|PhD Degree Requirements
* 74 hours earned while in pursuit of the Ph.D. will also be applied to an M.A. from DePaul University, if eligible.