The purpose of this program is to prepare educational personnel for administrative and supervisory positions in schools, business, human services agencies and a variety of educational settings. This discipline-based program includes concepts, research findings, and models of inquiry in social sciences. The program is also theory and problem-based in that it addresses the relevant theories of organization, leadership, and curriculum and contemporary issues likely to confront administrators and supervisors, and other educational leaders. Finally, the program is career-based given that it focuses on the examination of administrative and supervisory functions and objectives within a variety of settings and for different purposes.
The Educational Leadership Master’s of Education program is an Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) approved program for Principal Licensure and Teacher Leader Endorsement on the Professional Educator License. ISBE states the following guidelines:
Individuals seeking the Principal Licensure must:
- complete an approved principal endorsement program at an Illinois institution
- hold a Master's degree
- At the end of the program, in order to obtain licensure, students must have accrued 4 years of full-time teaching on a valid teaching license
- pass the Basic Skills or Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) and two Principal content-area tests
Individuals seeking the Teacher Leader Endorsement must:
- complete an approved teacher leader program at an Illinois institution
- hold a Bachelor’s degree
- have 2 years of full-time teaching accrued on a valid teaching or school service personal endorsement
- pass the Basic Skills or Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) and Teacher Leader content-area tests
Upon completion of the Principal Preparation program or the Teacher Leader Endorsement Program, and the additional requirements, students must apply for licensure or endorsement. Students are to work with the College of Education’s Licensure Officer when applying for endorsement.
Note: Courses in this program leading to the Principal Licensure and Teacher Leader Endorsement are designed for practicing educators and are not open to students seeking an initial teaching license (Teaching and Learning).
The Educational Leadership MEd program has several concentrations:
- General Concentration (degree only)
- Concentration in Catholic Leadership (degree only)
- Concentration in Principal License
- Concentration in Principal License (Catholic)
- Concentration in Physical Education (degree only)
- Concentration in Higher Education
- Concentration in Teacher Leader Endorsement
- Concentration in Teacher Leader Endorsement (Catholic)