Admission to the honors program in finance is dependent on a student's academic performance through the winter quarter of the junior year.
Students with an overall GPA of 3.300 and a minimum grade of B+ in FIN 310 may apply for admission into the program. The admissions committee will consider the student’s GPA, grade in FIN 310 as well as other evidence of superior academic performance for admission into the program.
To declare a major in Finance Honors, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Acceptance into the Finance Honors program
- Completion of 28.0 hours at DePaul University
- The following courses must be completed with a grade of C- or higher: ACC 101, ACC 102, BLW 201, ECO 105, ECO 106, MAT 135, MAT 136, and MAT 137
- A minimum cumulative DePaul grade point average of 3.300
- A minimum Finance (FIN) grade point average of 2.700
- No grade of IN, R, or lower than C- in any Finance (FIN) course or course used toward the Finance major
- Completion of FIN 310 with a minimum grade of B+
In addition to FIN 310 and FIN 320, a student majoring in Finance Honors is required to complete the following courses totaling at least 38.0 hours:
- Two required course (not taken as Honors section)
Ten required courses (must be taken as Honors sections)
Students who have taken the financial accounting courses, ACC 304, ACC 305 and ACC 306, are exempt from taking the financial accounting courses taught within the finance cohort, ACC 307-H and ACC 309-H.
A cumulative GPA of 3.000 is required to remain in the program. A student will be dropped from the program if a grade of D or F is earned in any DePaul course after admission to the program.
Once admitted, students will begin the curriculum in the spring quarter of the current academic year, and will complete the curriculum in the spring quarter of the following year. The program consists of a set of courses taught in lock step during the junior and senior years. The honors student cohort will be exposed to rigorous and challenging courses in corporate finance, risk management, financial statement analysis, and financial accounting. Analytical writing and teamwork skills will be emphasized throughout the program.
Open elective credit (8.0 hours) is needed to meet the minimum graduation requirement of 192 hours.
All Finance (FIN) courses and any courses used toward the Finance major must be completed with a minimum grade of C- and with a combined GPA of 2.000 or higher.