To declare a major in Hospitality Leadership, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 28.0 hours at DePaul University
- The following courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C- and with a combined GPA of 2.000 or higher: ACC 101, ACC 102, ECO 105, ECO 106, HSP 100, HSP 201, MAT 135, MAT 136, and MAT 137
- A minimum cumulative DePaul grade point average of 2.000
- A minimum Hospitality Leadership grade point average of 2.000
- No grade of IN, R, or lower than C- in any Hospitality Leadership (HSP) course or course used toward the Hospitality Leadership major
Course and Milestone Requirements
A student majoring in Hospitality Leadership is required to complete the following courses and milestones totaling at least 42.0 hours plus 8.0 hours to be shared with the Business Core and 4.0 hours to be shared with the Liberal Studies Program (54.0 hours total):
- Three required courses to be taken Pass/Fail and for 0 hours:
- One required course to be taken for 4.0 hours:
- Six required courses to be taken for 2.0 hours each:
- Two required courses to be taken in Business Core for 4.0 hours each:
- Two required courses to be taken Pass/Fail and for 1.0 hour each:
- Two required courses to be taken in Liberal Studies Requirements for Junior Year Experiential Learning and for 2.0 hours each:
- One Hospitality Leadership Concentration for 12.0 hours
- One Hospitality Leadership Specialization for 12.0 hours
- Two required Hospitality Leadership milestones:
- ServSafe Alcohol Certification or TIPS
- ServSafe Manager Certification
Hospitality Leadership majors must take ICS 396 for the Business Capstone; use of ICS 396 is limited to Hospitality Leadership majors.
Hospitality Leadership majors must take HSP 207 for the Business Law requirement; use of HSP 207 is limited to Hospitality Leadership majors. A student majoring in Hospitality Leadership and a second business major must complete both HSP 207 and BLW 201.
Junior Year Experiential Learning
Hospitality Leadership majors must complete HSP 303 and HSP 304. The completed sequence satisfies the requirement for Experiential Learning in the Liberal Studies Program.
Hospitality Leadership Milestones
The Hospitality Leadership Milestones are independent activities that a student majoring in Hospitality Leadership must complete prior to graduation. Minors offered by the School of Hospitality Leadership do not require milestone completion unless otherwise noted.
- ServSafe Alcohol Certification or TIPS: These two certifications are equivalent industry standards in the proper handling of alcohol and spirits. Students are to complete one of the two certifications and submit proof of completion to the School of Hospitality Leadership anytime prior to graduation. The exams may be found at http://www.servsafe.com/alcohol and http://gettips.com. Only one of these two alcohol-handling certifications is required.
- ServSafe Manager Certification: This certification is a standard in the Food & Beverage industry and students can use it to strengthen their individual credentials. Every U.S. foodservice outlet must have at least one manager who holds this certification. The focus is upon risk and sanitation concerns in foodservice operations. Students are to complete the standardized exam found at http://www.servsafe.com and submit proof of completion to the School of Hospitality Leadership anytime prior to graduation.
Open elective credit (4.0 hours) is needed to meet the minimum graduation requirement of 192 hours.
Degree Conferral Requirements
All Hospitality Leadership (HSP) courses and any other courses used toward the major must be completed with a minimum grade of C- (or PA where specified) and with a combined GPA of 2.000 or higher.