Applicants to Master's degree programs must have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants to the doctoral program must have a Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Please consult specific programs for admission requirements.


Students who have not taken classes for one year or more must reapply for admission. Depending on the length of time the student has stopped out, repetition of courses or additional courses may be required by the department or program. In all cases, the student is bound by the program requirements in force at the time of readmission.


Graduate students may change from one concentration to another within a major, but only by applying for reclassification. Once students have decided to change their concentration, they should complete a Reclassification Application form, available online or from the College of Education Advising Office. Any administrative questions about changing concentrations should be directed to the College of Education Advising Office, Schmitt Academic Center 481, at 773-325-4409. Graduate students who are interested in changing majors should not complete the Reclassification Application form. Instead, graduate students wishing to change majors should submit a new graduate application. The student’s file will be reevaluated to determine if the admission guidelines for the major for which he/she is applying are met. Additional application materials may be required.

The College of Education presently has one doctoral program. If a student wishes to change concentration, he/she should send an email to the Ed.D. Program Director indicating this request and explaining why a change of concentration is in his/her best interest, and how such a change will affect his/her program of study. The student may want to meet with the Academic Advisor to have an audit done so that it is clear what implications such a change would have on the student’s course of study. The Program Director will decide whether a change of concentration will be permitted.