To be eligible for the Learning Behavior Specialist 1 (LBS1) endorsement at the graduate level, the candidate must be currently enrolled in a College of Education early childhood degree-seeking with license or the non-degree licensure program.
Endorsement Requirements: 16 hours required, grade of C or better required
Have completed the pre-requisite special education courses:
Compete the following courses:
- SER 431 FOUNDATIONS OF LITERACY: ASSESSMENT AND INSTRUCTION I
- SER 475 METHODS OF TEACHING EARLY CHILDHOOD STUDENTS WITH LOW INCIDENCE DISABILITIES
- SER 476 SPECIAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM AND STRATEGIES FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD: HIGH INCIDENCE DISABILITIES
- SER 597 EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION SPECIAL EDUCATION PRACTICUM
All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license. LBS1 Endorsement students must complete the following tests:
- LBS1 Content Area Test (test #155) – assesses knowledge of working with students with disabilities and special needs.
Individuals must submit an application directly to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) upon successful completion of the required coursework and licensure tests. All individuals must meet ISBE requirements at the time of application. Requirements are subject to change per the discretion of ISBE.