Social and Cultural Studies Courses: 12 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Reading Specialist Core Courses: 20 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Leadership Courses: 8 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Practicum Courses: 12 quarter hours required, grade of C or better
Choose one: Thesis (MA) or Capstone (MEd):
Master of Arts (MA) Degree Requirements: 4 quarter hours, grade of C or better required
The Master’s Thesis is completed in conjunction with faculty advisement. Preparation for the writing of the Thesis should begin well in advance of the completion of coursework. Oral examination on Thesis required. Consult the MA Thesis Handbook for additional information.
Master of Education (MEd) Degree Requirement:
The practicum courses provide an opportunity to apply knowledge from course work to teaching struggling learners and those with disabilities. In these courses, students provide diagnostic and remedial services to children and adolescents from the Chicago area under the supervision of program faculty. Theses courses are offered in an on-campus facility.
All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license.
Reading Specialist students must complete the following tests:
- Reading Specialist Content Area Test (test #176) – assesses knowledge of language, reading, and literacy.
- Test of Basic Skills (one of the following):
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400)
- ACT: Prior to 9/1/15-Composite score of 22 with combined English/Writing score of 19 OR 9/1/15 and later-Composite score of 22 with Writing score of 16
- SAT: Composite score of 1030 (mathematics and critical writing) with a minimum writing score of 450
- Out-of-state test of basic skills that led to licensure in another state