The concentration in Organizational Diversity is an interdisciplinary concentration bringing course offerings from the Driehaus College of Business and the College of Communication together in order to meet the professional needs of diversity practitioners and chief diversity officers. The organizational diversity concentration explores the many dimensions, policies, and procedures that encompass a strategic diversity initiative for organizations across sectors, including industry, not-for-profit and public policy organizations, government, health care organizations, education and more. The program is designed and delivered by practiced diversity professionals and scholars in the field of multicultural communication, organizational behavior, and strategic human resource management.
The concentration in Organizational Diversity will:
- Provide students with a foundation in organization diversity.
- Prepare students the foundation to develop comprehensive diversity initiative.
- Provide students with multiple opportunities to acquire knowledge, competencies, and skills related to effective diversity management.
- Provide students with the legal and ethical principles needed to be a diversity practitioner or a chief diversity officer.
- Teach students the principles needed to attract, hire, promote, and create a welcoming environment for diverse employees.
- Provide students the framework for developing diverse training and development programs that emphasize diversity competencies for all employees.
- Provide the skills for working in diverse teams, empowerment, and conflict resolution and negotiation.
- Prepare students to be able to implement change models to increase diversity in organizations, and demonstrate the applicability of core diversity concepts in various business functions including but not limited to human resources, supply chain management and sales/marketing.