Content Area Courses
Note: Language courses begin at the Advanced language for the major. A placement test in the language is required to determine skill level and appropriate level to begin the language. Beginning and Intermediate language courses are in addition to the content area requirements but can fulfill open elective requirements.
Advanced Language Core: 12 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Language Electives Core: 36 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
- ITA 200-300 level course 1
- ITA 200-300 level course 2
- ITA 200-300 level course 3
- ITA 200-300 level course 4
- ITA 200-300 level course 5
- ITA 200-300 level course 6
- ITA 200-300 level course 7
- ITA 200-300 level course 8
- ITA 200-300 level course 9
Teaching Culture Core: 4 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Education Courses: 40 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required
Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Test
Pursuing certification in the teaching of a world language (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish) requires the oral proficiency test – an Interview – before you begin student teaching. You must earn a rating of "intermediate high" or better on the test.
Open Electives: 8 quarter hours are required
Open elective credit also is required to meet the minimum graduation requirement of 192 hours. The following cannot be used to fulfill an open elective: WRD 98
, MAT 94, and MAT 95. EE 281 recommended as open elective course. Electives must be approved by the WLE Program director.
Student Teaching: 12 quarter hours required, grade of B- or better required
Registration in student teaching requires completion of all requirements and procedures indicated in the college core section. EDU 95 indicates to the Illinois State Board of Education that all field experience hours are complete. All students also take WLE 384 with student teaching (listed in the Liberal Studies section).
All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license. World Language Education Italian majors must complete the following tests:
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) (test #400) - assesses knowledge of reading comprehension, language arts, writing, and math. It is recommended to be taken during the first or second quarter in the program. Test is required before Student Teaching (deadlines apply). *Check with your advisor about qualifying for a waiver with acceptable ACT or SAT test scores.
- Italian Content Area Test (test #130) – assesses knowledge of the Italian language and culture. Test is required before Student Teaching (deadlines apply).
- OPI Test (see above).
- Assessment of Professional Teaching (APT) – assesses knowledge of teaching planning, delivery, assessment, professionalism, and technology. Test is required to be licensed; recommended to be taken before Student Teaching.
- EdTPA - assessment conducted during the student teaching
experience including video clips of instruction, lesson plans, student
work samples, analysis of student learning and reflective commentaries.
Students will submit an electronic portfolio to an outside agency for
independent evaluation and a fee will be imposed by that agency as part
of the assessment.
ADVANCED COMMUNICATION I