Major Elective Courses
Students are required to take 4 Major Elective Courses according to the following criteria:
- Students should choose 2 graduate level elective courses from a College of Communication program.
- Students should choose 2 additional graduate level elective courses from a College of Communication program or another College of Computing and Digital Media program or another college/department at DePaul University.
Students do not have to follow a particular sequence for their elective course requirements. However, students may focus their electives in an Enriched Allied Field Area of Art, Media and Design or New Media Studies. Some classes in the Enriched Allied Field Areas of Art, Media and Design and New Media Studies have been pre-approved for students and do not require the permission of an advisor. Other classes may require an advisor's permission. Pre-approved Enriched Allied Field courses are listed below.
Allied Field Area - New Media Studies
Allied Field Area - Art, Media and Design
Master's Thesis Project
Students must complete a Master's Thesis Project as part of the degree requirements. Students have two options for how to complete the Master's Thesis Project.
- Individual - The student will create an original project and a 20-30 page accompanying written research documentation and report/analysis.
- Collaborative - Students work in teams of 2-4 students to complete an original project and a 40-60 page accompanying written research documentation and report/analysis.
Students must have completed the necessary prerequisite classes and at least 8 courses (32 credit hours) in the DCMA program toward their 52 required credit hours (credits earned from Introductory Courses do not count toward the required total credits). Students should schedule a meeting with a faculty member to discuss the requirements.
- Fall - Before the end of the fall quarter, students should submit a written proposal to advising faculty outlining their Thesis concept.
- Winter - Enroll in DMA 695 THESIS I.
Spring - Enroll in DMA 698 THESIS II.
Spring - Participate in end of year showcase and/or symposium.