An award-winning designer of scenery and lighting, John Culbert, MFA, was named dean of The Theatre School
on July 1, 2001. Founded as the Goodman School of Drama in 1925, The
Theatre School is the Midwest's oldest theatre conservatory and is
recognized nationally as one of the top conservatory programs in the
United States. Using a highly disciplined learn-by-doing format, the
competitive programs train students by producing more than 200 public
performances each season.
Culbert has left his mark across Chicago, designing lighting for the
Buckingham Fountain, Garfield Conservatory, Field Museum of Natural
History and the Chicago Park District.
Theatre-goers will recognize his lighting and scenery work from
productions at the Goodman Theatre, Northlight Theatre, Lookingglass
Theatre, Drury Lane Theatre, Chicago Opera Theatre and more than 30
productions at the Court Theatre. He has received several Joseph
Jefferson nominations and a Jeff Award for "The Triumph of Love" at
Outside of Chicago, Culbert has designed scenery and/or lighting for the
Opera Theater of St. Louis, Boston Lyric Opera, Opera National du Rhin,
Colorado Opera Festival, McCarter Theatre, Hartford Stage, Southern
Repertory, Cleveland Orchestra and Bristol Riverside Theatre.
He first came to DePaul in 1988 as an assistant professor and the head
of The Theatre School's lighting design program. In 1992, he was
promoted to associate professor and chaired the design/technology
program from 1992 to 1998. He was promoted to full professor in 1995,
appointed associate dean in 1998 and named acting dean in July of 2000.
At The Theatre School he has designed productions of "The Misanthrope,"
"A Streetcar Named Desire," "The Rose Tattoo," "The Women," "The Snow
Queen," "Rip Van Winkle" and "Stage Door."