The Middle Grades Education program will prepare you to teach fifth through eighth grade in a variety of urban and suburban education settings. You will participate in field experiences, which require you to observe and participate in teaching activities at multiple schools and student teach.
You will learn educational theories and effective teaching practices that focus on diverse middle level youth. Also, you will examine the ways in which society shapes our views of middle grades learners and the social, emotional, cognitive, spiritual and physical dimensions of healthy adolescence.
- Assessment Practices in the Middle Grades
- Conceptions of Healthy Young Adolescence
- Literacy in the Middle Grades
- Social and Historical Issues in Education
- Social Emotional Learning in the Middle Grades
- Teaching of Language Arts in the Middle Grades
- Teaching of Mathematics in the Middle Grades
- Teaching of Science in the Middle Grades
- Teaching of Social Studies in the Middle Grades
- Young Adolescent Development
- Language Arts
- Social Studies