Withdrawal from Classes

Withdrawing from classes (whether you withdraw from all your courses, leave the university, or seek an administrative or late withdrawal) may have serious consequences for your in-term financial aid awards, as well as your future financial aid eligibility. Withdrawal also may have far-reaching effects in other areas of student life. If you are considering withdrawing from your courses, or leaving the university, you should speak with your academic advisor, financial aid advisor or a student affairs representative. If you are in campus housing, you should also consult with the Department of Housing Services to discuss the consequences of your withdrawal. In addition, if you are considering pursuing a late withdrawal, please read the information below, and also review the Late Withdrawal Process and the Late Withdrawal FAQ the at the Dean of Students website.

Consider the cost of withdrawal

Your cost of attendance for your educational program will escalate as a result of lost time, unearned coursework, delayed graduation and increased educational debt if you are borrowing to attend school. If you need to withdraw, we recommend that you work with your financial aid and academic counselors to find strategies to minimize this cost.

Listed below are some possible effects of withdrawal. Please refer to our Withdrawal Checklist  to help guide you through the possible consequences of withdrawal. You should try to review this checklist with your academic or financial aid advisor before withdrawing so that you are able to make the best and most informed decision.

If you are receiving federal, state or institutional financial aid (including scholarships):

  • Federal financial aid: 
    Withdrawal can affect your federal student aid eligibility for the term for which you are considering withdrawal. If you are receiving federal financial aid, your loans and grants will recalculate based upon your last date of attendance. Any unearned portion of the aid will be returned to the financial aid programs, under the terms of the federal Return of Title IV Aid policy. Depending on the date of your withdrawal and the type of federal aid you receive, your tuition account could actually be opened and you may need to return federal financial aid. If you are considering withdrawing from a term, please check with the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central to determine the in-term effect on your federal student aid. 
  • Institutional aid (including scholarships): 
    Withdrawal can affect your current-term and/or future eligibility for any institutional scholarship and grant you may be receiving. In addition, many DePaul University merit scholarships require continuous enrollment and a minimum grade point average for renewal. A withdrawal or a break in your enrollment could affect your future eligibility. Please check with the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central if you receive an institutional scholarship and you are considering withdrawal.
  • Your overall financial aid eligibility — maintaining satisfactory academic progress: 
    Repeated withdrawals could compromise your future eligibility for financial aid because you may not be meeting the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy. If you have questions about the satisfactory academic progress policy, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central
  • Your loan deferments: 
    If you have student loans, your loans will lose in-school deferment status after you withdraw, and you may need to start repaying your loans, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at DePaul Central or contact the holder of your loans.

If you are living on campus:

Withdrawal will affect your on-campus housing. If you live in campus housing, you should check with the Department of Housing Services before withdrawing, as you need to be enrolled in school to stay in campus housing.​

If you receive insurance or benefits:

Withdrawal may affect your insurance or benefits. Many insurance policies (health, auto, etc.) or benefit policies require active enrollment. Withdrawal can affect your eligibility. C​heck your policy before deciding to withdraw.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Exit Counseling

If you borrowed a Federal Direct Stafford Loan and you withdraw from the university (even if your withdrawal is temporary), you will need to complete the Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling Session. During the exit counseling session, you will learn important information about the next steps with your student loans.

Federal Perkins Loan Exit Counseling

If you have borrowed under the Federal Perkins Loan program, and you withdraw from the university (even if your withdrawal is temporary), you will need to complete Exit Counseling for your Perkins Loan.

Federal TEACH Grant Exit Counseling

If you have received the Federal TEACH Grant, and you withdraw from the university (even if your withdrawal is temporary), you also will need to complete exit counseling for the TEACH Grant. Please visit the Federal Exit Counseling website and follow the links for TEACH grant exit counseling. ​